[sakai2-tcc] Proposal: eliminate all indies, re-version trunk to CLE 4.0

Seth Theriault slt at columbia.edu
Thu Aug 8 13:21:41 PDT 2013

On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 5:04 PM, Anthony Whyte <arwhyte at umich.edu> wrote:

> The proposal represents a first step in the simplification/rationalization
> process.  I can make time to do the work starting this week, if it meets
> with your approval.  If Steve and Matt have any time to help all the better.

There is much to like about this proposal (and indeed I like most of
it), but I think it can be improved by focusing more squarely on the
sorely needed simplification and avoiding 2 debates:

== 2.10 vs. 4.0  ==

Much ink has been spilled in this thread on what to to number the
current trunk when it's released. Quite frankly, many of the reasons
in favor of a jump to 4.0 seem to be somewhat-to-very technical in
nature and are not the result of community-driven functionality
changes.

To move the simplification along, I propose instead that we change the
Maven coordinates of Message Center in trunk by changing the groupId
from "org.sakaiproject.msgcntr" to "org.sakaiproject.messagecenter"
and setting the version to 2.10-SNAPSHOT like the others; the current
artifactIds would be maintained. This is not an original proposal, but
I think doing it gets us on the fast track to actually having a new
simplified release.

== "move to Git"  ==

To move to a new VCS, we need simplification. Doing prep work for the
simplification in Github is immaterial to the actual changes that will
need to be made in Subversion via patches that will be documented and
tested. Once the simplification is accomplished, we will be in a
position to more easily (and quickly) changes to a different VCS.

For those who care, I am in favor of moving to a better VCS, but not
before we have simplification.

Seth