[sakai2-tcc] Planning for Sakai 2.10 and beyond

Charles Severance csev at umich.edu
Mon Sep 24 08:53:40 PDT 2012

On Sep 24, 2012, at 11:23 AM, Mark J. Norton wrote:

> Steve's OP concerned an exploration of vision for the future of the CLE.  You shifted that discussion into governance.  Well, that's fair (to some degree).  Governance is a matter of great concern to you, and rightly so.  Trust me, I know what it's like to explore blue sky ideas only see them fade away into the mists.

Governance is a "third rail" for me because nearly every well-intentioned attempt at governance in this community has backfired.   And we have a bad history of turning brainstorming discussions into "this is such a great idea - lets build up some governance to insure this really happens".

Here is what I agree with:

- I do think we need to come up with a more expansive future vision for the CLE over the next 6-9 months

- I do think that we could use a little brainstorming on post 2.10 plans when the time is right

- I do think that the TCC needs to embrace an expanded remit and engage the community through presentations at the worldwide and regional conferences - I was hoping to get Neal or some representative of the TCC to attend the Rio conference to do a CLE update before it was pulled - we should be out an in the public about the CLE roadmap and actively asking for input - I will find a way one way or another to insure that there will be TCC representation at all regional conferences from this point forward.

- I even think that there might be a place to do a CLE "3" - but I think that it is premature to talk too much until we prove we can deliver on the roadmap on 2.9 and 2.10 - we need to avoid getting too far ahead of ourselves and making promises that we not clear we can deliver - talking about this too early may pull resources away from the CLE and promising something and then revising the delivery date over the next few years will not help our credibility

- I am optimistic about OAE's future and see a scenario where the future of CLE and OAE might still overlap - but we need to let things progress a bit and not try to make decisions without seeing what really happens with OAE over the next few months - lets not jump the gun - lets see what happens before we come up with a plan

These are the things I fiercely oppose:

- Inventing a new group "above" the TCC of non-contributors to achieve the above goals

/Chuck