[sakai2-tcc] Patch that adds ability to view realms but not modify them

Bryan Holladay holladay at longsight.com
Thu Sep 13 06:04:57 PDT 2012

DelegatedAccess won't be able to give this kind of functionality since
it doesn't exist in Sakai.  It could give you access to a site that
has the realm tool and give you permissions to use it but since its an
"all or nothing" tool, it wouldn't be read only access.

I don't think this patch is any worse then having the roster tool with
permissions to view or not view the roster.  As long as OOTB Sakai
doesn't give students permission to view all realms and their rosters,
then it's just another option that helps make Sakai more flexible.

-Bryan

On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 8:56 AM, Aaron Zeckoski <azeckoski at unicon.net> wrote:
> Is it possible that the delegated admin stuff could be used to allow
> something like this? I am thinking no but maybe someone closer to that
> work can comment.
>
> I don't see the harm in adding this permission in as long as it is
> really clear what it does. If there are concerns about it even being
> there, then maybe we can use a system config setting to control
> whether it is even visible at all. Maybe "authz.enable.realm.view.all"
> or something to that effect.
> Then a warning could be added in there.
>
> -AZ
>

> On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 8:06 AM, David Horwitz <david.horwitz at uct.ac.za> wrote:
>> its controlled by a permission so I assume the use case here is a junior
>> admin rather than all users ...

>> On 09/13/2012 02:03 PM, Charles Severance wrote:
>>
>> I would say 'no' on first blush.
>>
>> It seems like a FERPA problem to let normal participants see rosters.
>>
>> /Chuck
>>
>> On Sep 12, 2012, at 6:38 PM, Sam Ottenhoff wrote:
>>
>> I've never heard of the use case for viewing all permissions
>> administratively, but I'm not opposed to it.  I would say go for a trunk
>> commit, but let's not merge to 2.9.x.
>>
>> --Sam
>>
>> On Tue, Sep 11, 2012 at 11:11 PM, Steve Swinsburg
>> <steve.swinsburg at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I'm wondering what your thoughts are on this modification to the realms
>>> tool, which allows users to view the realms but not modify them. This was
>>> some work completed for a local requirement, I thought it might be useful
>>> for others. Backwards compatible, no need to activate the permission which
>>> controls it if you don't want it thus meaning there is no change.
>>>
>>> https://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-22585
>>>
>>> cheers,
>>> Steve