[sakai2-tcc] Summary of meeting - Re: TCC - CLE coordinator meeting - Wednesday, Oct 31, 8 am EDT (12 pm GMT)

Noah Botimer botimer at umich.edu
Wed Oct 31 09:38:44 PDT 2012

I am in support of a full speed ahead approach for 2.9.0.

There are some issues outstanding, and those deserve to be addressed (fixed
or expressly deferred). I think the best thing for the product, community
health, and overall coordination is to get into a pattern of releasing
rather than delaying.

All releases will have flaws. Adopters realize this and will appreciate
clear milestones, as opposed to an indefinite and incomprehensible "almost
there" state. They will decide if they are ready to adopt any given
release, provided we are transparent about what's in it or not. The
"everyone runs a maintenance branch anyway, so we don't really need
releases" status quo is an abomination. It is also a fallacy that delaying
a release will cause better QA and more fixes -- experience shows us in our
community that releases drive reporting, QA, and fixes more than potential
releases do.

Here is my recommendation (given that it appears the short list is at one
issue):

        1. Pick a release date that affords time for the mechanics of
releasing and verifying artifacts.
        2. Touch base with QA contacts for "last call" show stoppers. If
any come, make a time-limited call for CLE team / TCC input about direction
or resolution. Default to releasing in absence of a majority vote to delay.
        3. Compile release notes with a list of known issues (of sufficient
severity, probably defined as Critical+ JIRA issues affecting the RC).
        4. Draft a specific timeline for 2.9.1, addressing some portion of
the known issues and others arising.
        5. Release 2.9.0 with specific mention of the known issues and
intent to release 2.9.1 on the above schedule with as many issues addressed
as resources allow. Remind everyone in the notes that issues discovered
should be reported and offer an open inbox for reporting issues as to help
those who do not understand the JIRA process get started.
        6. Execute 1-5 for 2.9.1 and repeat with decreasing frequency as
important issues are resolved and focus shifts to 2.10.

I do recognize that this is a plan with no backing resource on my behalf.
Please consider it as what I see as a plan for moving us toward a series of
successes, as opposed to languishing so near the finish line. Nothing more.

Thanks,
-Noah