[sakai2-tcc] Proposal: release Sakai 2.9.0 on Friday, November 9 barring any new blockers (Voting now open)

Matthew Jones matthew at longsight.com
Thu Nov 1 15:07:44 PDT 2012

All of the major issues with the duplicate emails have had a lot of time
put into them by multiple people and were verified. These wouldn't appear
on the QA servers, possibly in conversion scripts. Someone reported on the
dev list the other day that a conversion script didn't clear out
duplicates. [1] This was known to be a difficult problem to accomplish in
SQL and we couldn't test all cases. However a few cases were tested.

One of the most difficult things about this release was getting people to
test the conversion and database code, especially the Oracle ones. I
believe Chris Maurer did run them on a 2.8 database them each time he
rolled out his QA server, but that was the only consistent (known to me)
testing. We also had a lost of time lost trying to make conversion scripts
because the people early on doing most of the work didn't have easy access
(or strong local interest) in getting the Oracle scripts working. Michigan
and Columbia jumped into the process later, and we noticed a number of
"late breaking issues".

There are still a few optional features in 2.9 core which only work in
MySQL (or work better on MySQL)

qa29.sakaiqa.org does have email turned on, and I believe the nightlies
have email turned on to log to the tomcat log file.

[1]
http://collab.sakaiproject.org/pipermail/sakai-dev/2012-October/019464.html