[sakai2-tcc] Rio Sakai regional conference

Charles Severance csev at umich.edu
Tue Jul 24 08:50:10 PDT 2012

Just a gentle suggestion.  The best formal TCC representative might be someone from a university rather than a company.

If for example, I was going, I would go as Blackboard and not Michigan and be clear with the folks inviting me that I was with Blackboard.  And even if they still wanted me as an invited speaker knowing I was with Blackboard, I would make Blackboard pay for the travel (i.e. I would not accept Foundation funds for travel).

This is exactly what I did when I was invited to Sakai Mexico to speak.   I (a) made it very clear to Ursula that I worked for Blackboard ad she could withdraw her invitation to speak if this made her uncomfortable and (b) I did not allow Ursula to pay for my travel expenses even though she paid for Beth and Ian to attend (completely appropriate).

The simplest thing is to have any situation where a person "represents" the Foundation or overall community for us to choose a person that is from a University if it is practical.

And of course it is *perfectly* awesome and OK for anyone affiliated with a company to register, attend, and even submit a presentation.  Heck I might even go because Fall break at Michigan is October 15/16.  I could not go down for both days but I could arrive October 13 and leave early on October 16.  :)

/Chuck