[sakai2-tcc] Getting rid of master as a submodule.

Matthew Jones matthew at longsight.com
Wed Feb 8 14:15:33 PST 2012

This was something Steve Swinsburg and some others on the release team were
looking at.

Currently the hierarchy of the core is generally

Tool->base->master

The base defines all of the profiles and modules that Sakai core needs, so
that dependency resolution can occur. The master defines property versions,
dependencyManagement and some plugins that all core tools need.

I believe the agreement was to use one combined base+master for whats left
in the core, and a simplified (possibly one) pure-pom for all of the indies.

I think this conversation happened off-list but nothing really ever
happened (work-wise) from it though.

Most of the decisions about master/base/pure-poms were mostly made by
people who are no longer actively involved in the CLE (other than perhaps
Dave Horwitz) and the reasons for them are not documented very well that I
could find.

In the current version of Sakai, master can be wherever, but it does need
to build first in the reactor, maven will figure that out.

-Matthew