[sakai2-tcc] Agenda - Re: Invitations sent for TCC - CLECC meeting this week

Matthew Jones matthew at longsight.com
Tue Dec 11 20:00:55 PST 2012

I would agree with this,

However most of the tools in Sakai are such bad shape that it would
probably be faster if you (or other developers) just wrote a new tool or
integrated a new external tool rather than trying to fix what's there now.
There are no longer support teams in core except for:

Samigo - Karen
Profile2 - Steve
Assignments/Site-Manage - Zhen
Lessons - Chuck
Messages and Forums - Michelle
Portal - (Probably still Dr. Chuck and Adrian, though a little of everybody)

That's it.

If there's an issue with any other tool it's it needs to be high priority,
then it's almost always someone from that above list or one of the
commercial affiliates that looks at it.

i18n status is easy, Alan has a dashboard for that:
http://qa1-nl.sakaiproject.org/international/ . However the help files only
exist for Chinese, Portuguese and some in French and Russian. Help as has
already been discussed is a big technical problem.

Also . . .

- Both tools that extend the BaseMessageService should be replaced. Email
Archive & Announcements. There are about 100 open issues in both of those
tools that will never be looked at and multiple developers have put in
patches and left (Sakai). They're difficult to figure out and the bugs are
hard to fix when they need to be fixed. There might be some great technical
idea to improve the storage of all the XML content then selectively pulling
out data that needs to be indexed over time (in fact I know there is, using
new tables instead of columns to index this schema-less data). However
implementing that could take more time than using something new. . . Though
maybe neither of these tools or any of the 100 issues are that really that
important.

- Even though Assignment has someone working on it, it should either be
decided to keep Assignment forever or replace it with Assignments 2. There
are pros and cons for both which I was planning on writing up in a future
message. Technical cleanup in both Assignment and site-manage seems to be
an ongoing project.

- We really could use a better UI for Gradebook and the
edu-services/gradebook split seems only half completed. Many edu-service
beans are still in gradebook, so edu-services won't start without gradebook
present anyway. Also Noah recently worked on a time consuming performance
fix and he mentioned there was a lot of logic that is in gradebook tool.
This is not unique to gradebook (logic in the tool layer) and will make
writing accurate external interfaces difficult. The GB2/GB split I'm sure
has some gap because of this.
  - Speaking of GB2, it looks like GXT has added an exception for their
license since the last time we reviewed it (years ago) possibly making the
library compatible for use. Though we'd probably want someone to confirm
this.

http://www.sencha.com/legal/open-source-faq/open-source-license-exception-for-applications/
  - Though the gaps mentioned above would need to be re-addressed

- Web tool (SAK-12563) needs to be replaced with portlet version, News Tool
should be replaced with News Feeds

- It's a bummer that Content/Resources UI work wasn't finished by Michigan.
That tool could really use some HTML5 improvements. Still too difficult to
deal with files.

- Ideally Postem, Site Stats, Polls, Podcasts and Syllabus are in decent
shape and not too many issues. Syllabus probably isn't as useful with
Lessons. Post'em I've done some minor work in lately.

- RWiki . . . A wiki is super important but this really needs to be
removed/replaced. Nobody is touching it, it's using a 5 year old library
(Radeox) that I'd bet only Sakai is using, every large attempt (WYSIWYG) to
seriously improve it has failed. (SAK-8535)
  - I don't even know what to do with this . . .  It has almost 100 open
issues by itself.

These are all new things that weren't on the 2.10 hit list (
https://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/TCC/TCC+CLE+2.9+Action+Items) ,
but since you were talking about maintainable tools. That hit-list still
needs a review, perhaps a meeting to go over this stuff?

On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 10:06 PM, Steve Swinsburg <steve.swinsburg at gmail.com