[sakai2-tcc] Improve the welcome page experience

Matthew Jones matthew at longsight.com
Mon Apr 30 08:29:50 PDT 2012

I think for part #1 and #2 these users already exist, but not many people
*know* about the SampleUserDirectoryProvider that has been around (in it's
current form) for over 5 years. Most people know about admin, but this
provider (which all of the QA servers use because they start up with
"-Dsakai.demo=true")
provides:

* 1000 sample students with the username of
student0001-student1000 (all password sakai)

The first 10 or so students have "realistic" names (some of them i18n), the
rest are all generic.

* Sample instructor (instructor/sakai)
* A sample ta (ta/sakai)
* Infinite other users (any user name that starts with test and the
password Sakai).

The big advantage of this is if you use the "instructor" user you can
create a course site, add a roster and get all 1000 students enrolled in
it.

I use this all of the time, though it probably *would* be more useful
documented on the front of the QA pages.

Previously, the "welcome page" and other info was stored at
https://source.sakaiproject.org/contrib/qa/trunk/. I'm not sure if the QA
process is organized but I remember when I was running a QA, Alan/Seth did
direct me here to update content. Though it looks like the last change here
was years ago.

[1]
https://source.sakaiproject.org/svn/providers/trunk/sample/src/java/org/sakaiproject/provider/user/SampleUserDirectoryProvider.java