[sakai2-tcc] Promote Roster2, retire Roster classique

Steve Swinsburg steve.swinsburg at gmail.com
Thu Apr 5 00:04:47 PDT 2012

Hi all,

I'd like to propose that we return to the discussion around the promotion of Roster2 as a replacement for Roster classique. We discussed this for 2.9 but it never made it.
https://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/TCC/List+of+Planned+2.9.0+Changes

The UI is identical but it is entirely new behind the scenes (there is no JSF) and is much faster. It also integrates well with Profile2.
https://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/RSTR/Roster2

The config is also identical to Roster1 but has a few new props, all optional.

It passes everything on the tool scorecard here:
https://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/SCORE/Tool+Status+Requirements

It is a binary so you just need this in the core deploy pom (this is in the Sakai Maven repo)

<dependency>
		<groupId>org.sakaiproject.roster2</groupId>
		<artifactId>sakai-roster2-assembly</artifactId>
		<version>1.0.0</version>
		<classifier>tomcat-overlay</classifier>
		<type>zip</type>
</dependency>

Both ANU and Lancaster are running it in production, from memory the University of Melbourne are also, and it is part of the custom build that is deployed via Ultraline which has multiple installations. So lots of production experience.

This will also resolve some issues that are outstanding with the current Roster tool:
https://jira.sakaiproject.org/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?mode=hide&requestId=13271

cheers,
Steve