[sakai2-tcc] [Building Sakai] Proposal: trunk is 2.9 from Sept-Jan until sakai-2.9.0-rc01 is ready for tagging

Noah Botimer botimer at umich.edu
Mon Sep 19 08:35:29 PDT 2011

I think that this is generally a very good plan but I do share Matthew B's concern that the term may be long (but we don't really know now, as it depends on interest/capacity for new work beyond or despite our urging to focus on 2.9).

I have also long been supportive of the labels alpha, beta, and release candidate having useful meaning and criteria. In (maybe only) my mind, beta tags should indicate a relative stability and completeness. Perhaps the alpha-beta transition is a sensible moment to switch over to a release branch.

In any case, I am supportive of this and encourage us to move forward while keeping a finger on the pulse. There may be an indication of the "right time" before January, but it's a good ballpark for now.

As this appears to be a proposal rather than a vote, I'll bend my personal guidelines and combine an editorial with a ballot.

+1

Thanks,
-Noah