[sakai2-tcc] Sakai 2.7.2 and Sakai 2.8.1 - VOTE

Noah Botimer botimer at umich.edu
Wed Nov 9 06:30:49 PST 2011

Sam,

I think you are absolutely right. I still contend that having a majority of the community running unmodified branches at different points indicates a real need for more releases. It's even worse if it's hard enough to bundle local releases that people have to vendor drop huge chunks of code. It's even worse if they are vendor dropping old stuff simply because newer releases haven't been announced.

You are also quite right to point out that we have to stand on our own, with at most a pointer here and there from Anthony. It's also right to set priorities. The branches could really stand to be released and the release process could really stand to be improved. But these should not stop each other -- we just need to pick what's most important and do it first. If it's so hard to do it current way, maybe the cleanup happens first, but I've got to believe that someone(s) issuing a release in the standing way would result in a more predictable release and better insight into what should be refactored.

So, in the interest of being clear, here is what I think needs to be done (and I do understand that offering plans without resources only goes so far):

 * Find someone who can be guaranteed for the uninterrupted time (I think two days is a good guess but maybe low)
 * Release 2.8.2
 * Release 2.7.3
 * Secure another bit of guaranteed (ideally for a couple of people) to plan/try refactoring for a 2.9 alpha, to take advantage of the QA sanity check that would not be available for a maintenance release.
 * If it goes well for a couple of 2.9 alpha releases, apply it to 2.8 and 2.7 (at least once, to catch up before 2.9 final and synchronize everything in case more are needed).

Thanks,
-Noah