[sakai2-tcc] [WG: Licensing] Sakai 2.9 Planning in Confluence

Barnaby Gibson Barnaby.Gibson at ithaka.org
Mon May 30 09:09:23 PDT 2011

Hi Chuck,

Whether we can use software that is subject to the LGPL depends on how it is being used -- we analyze it on a case by case basis, and generally try to minimize use of LGPL software.

Generally the issue is making sure that we are using the LGPL software as a more or less standalone module, and in a way that preserves freedom to modify the LGPL code, even for people who might be using a version of Sakai that has customizations or optimizations that are not open source.  The more LGPL code there is, and again depending on how it is used, you can create a situation where the LGPL terms start being "viral" even though we're talking about the LGPL here, not the GPL.

Do you want to set up a time to talk on the phone?

Regards,
Barnaby

Sent from my iPad