[sakai2-tcc] VOTE: Tool Promotions & Deprecations for 2.9

Steve Swinsburg steve.swinsburg at gmail.com
Sun Jul 31 17:42:12 PDT 2011

-1

I am in favour of Neoportal, Lesson Builder and Mailsender, however at this point in time must vote -1 to News Feeds. The version of Wicket it was written with is unsupported (1.3 series). This was successfully upgraded to 1.4, however the News Feeds tool includes an additional library, wicket-dojo, which is incomplete in 1.4 and seems to be abandoned as a whole stack of classes are missing.

They need to be migrated, however this requires work outside of Sakai (i.e. it would need to be done in the wicketstuff source repo and a release cut) and won't happen unless anyone is willing to devote time to a different project (wicketstuff).

All of this is noted here: https://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/NFS-61

My recommendations are to either keep it at the unsupported 1.3.x series of Wicket (not a good idea though), or rewrite the options page to not use WicketStuff dojo (significant investment of time unless we can get Nuno to do it)

regards,
Steve