[sakai2-tcc] VOTE: End of support for Oracle 9

Seth Theriault slt at columbia.edu
Mon Jul 18 13:21:23 PDT 2011

David Haines wrote:

> Just a comment, we need to be careful what we call these point
> releases now.  This is potentially a breaking change and that,
> I think, would be surprising in a maintenance release.  It
> means it is not possible for someone to be sure that upgrading
> to a new point release will be safe.
>
> This should not become a precedent for making maintenance
> releases that could break existing installations.

I would agree that should be be a precedent, but this situation
has been hastened along by the realities of the community: There
are no longer any QA servers running Oracle 9 on which to test.

In addition, I will point out that we already used an SQL
directive that wasn't compatible with Oracle 9 in the 2.6
conversions scripts.

Seth