[sakai2-tcc] draft statement on end of support for Oracle 9

Seth Theriault slt at columbia.edu
Fri Jul 8 11:25:13 PDT 2011

Hello,

As discussed in Los Angeles, we should consider officially
dropping support for Oracle 9 and lower as of Sakai 2.8.1 (and
2.7.2).

Some reasons for this include:

- Oracle 9 has been EOL'd for at least a year.
- In at least one case, our conversion scripts use SQL directives that are only available in Oracle 10 and later
- Institutions supporting QA servers no longer use Oracle 9

I propose the following statement be adopted:

"The Sakai CLE Technical Coordination Committee announces the end
of formal support for Oracle 9.2 and earlier, starting with the
release of the upcoming 2.8.1 and 2.7.2 maintenance releases.

Oracle 9.2 reached the end of its formal "Extend Support"
coverage in July 2010. In addition, many institutions in the
Sakai community are using more recent versions of Oracle,
including all of those hosting Sakai QA servers for community
use. Finally, some of the current Oracle conversion scripts use
features that are only available in later versions."

Let's discuss this for a week or so. We probably have to confirm
some of the above, but you get the geenral idea.

Seth