[sakai2-tcc] Are we supporting Java 1.5 for 2.8?

John Bush john.bush at rsmart.com
Fri Feb 18 06:43:31 PST 2011

This is exactly what I would like to see.  Let's just get it building,
which it will after a few things aren't merged.  Its working for me
now with the patches from yesterday.  I think its just too late to
make the decision to force people off of 1.5, its clear from this
discussion that we've haven't set that expectation yet.  Then for 2.9
its a different story.

On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 7:39 AM, David Horwitz <david.horwitz at uct.ac.za> wrote:
> My recommendation:
>
> 2.8: recommend 1.6 - code compiles in 1.5
> 2.9: require 1.6 - no guarantee  that code will compile/run in 1.5

> On 02/18/2011 04:32 PM, Seth Theriault wrote:
>> Anthony Whyte wrote:
>>

>>> If we want to drop 1.5 then we need to make sure that the
>>> code compiles after adjusting Maven's compiler plugin
>>> settings from 1.5 to 1.6.  Last time I checked (early
>>> December) the kernel failed to build due to an issue with
>>> kernel util's validater.java due to "unmappable character
>>> for encoding UTF-8 (53 cases)."
>>>
>> I think we should be clear about what we want to do for 2.8.
>>
>> There is a difference between telling people to use 1.6
>> (while maintaining the 1.5 source and targets) and forcing the
>> use of 1.6 (by changing them).
>>
>> Given that we are late in the cycle and we know that (from QA)
>> that the current 2.8 code can be built and run in 1.6 --
>> albeit with 1.5 source and targets -- I think we should just
>> emphatically state the need to use 1.6, rather than force it.
>>
>> Seth

John Bush
602-490-0470