[sakai2-tcc] Are we supporting Java 1.5 for 2.8?

Seth Theriault slt at columbia.edu
Fri Feb 18 06:32:45 PST 2011

Anthony Whyte wrote:

> If we want to drop 1.5 then we need to make sure that the
> code compiles after adjusting Maven's compiler plugin
> settings from 1.5 to 1.6.  Last time I checked (early
> December) the kernel failed to build due to an issue with
> kernel util's validater.java due to "unmappable character
> for encoding UTF-8 (53 cases)."

I think we should be clear about what we want to do for 2.8.

There is a difference between telling people to use 1.6
(while maintaining the 1.5 source and targets) and forcing the
use of 1.6 (by changing them).

Given that we are late in the cycle and we know that (from QA)
that the current 2.8 code can be built and run in 1.6 --
albeit with 1.5 source and targets -- I think we should just
emphatically state the need to use 1.6, rather than force it.

Seth