[sakai2-tcc] Site caching

csev csev at umich.edu
Wed Feb 16 23:36:08 PST 2011

This code is extremely fragile.  My recommendation is a complete rewrite - I even wrote myself a JIRA many years ago to that effect:

https://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/KNL-89

If you recall, over the years, every time someone touches this code, it breaks badly - it would seem as though SAK-11440 is similar to all other attempts to tune Site Caching.

My plan in KNL-89 was to first remove *all* caching from Site and then test it thoroughly - and then make a nice, clean layer that should cache it nicely, touching the code at exactly one cut point and making very sure that invalidation was 100% perfect - and now of course - memory cleanup is perfect as well.

As more and more tools use properties for their primary storage - properties will become an increasing problem if not dealt with properly.

I fear that this is not something easily slid into 2.8 as a "quick fix" - the last thing we need is 2.8 shipping completely broken because of an unknown problem.     I would suggest that this needs a month of a person 100% dedicated to the problem - and we neither have the month nor the person.   So I also suggest that we *do not touch it at this time* and make this part of 2.9.

/Chuck