[sakai2-tcc] Fwd: Re: [Building Sakai] [Deploying Sakai] Issue in 2.7.x content branch from 18 May to 1 Aug

Matthew Buckett matthew.buckett at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Thu Aug 18 02:04:55 PDT 2011

On Fri, Aug 5, 2011 at 4:09 PM, Stephen Marquard
<stephen.marquard at uct.ac.za> wrote:

> First, I'm not on this list and not planning to join so won't take part
> in this discussion, but would like to request that there is an explicit
> review of the merge policy for maintenance branches.
>
> At some point, the practice was that only QA'd changes got merged into
> branches. This seems to have got dropped, and over the last week we've
> seen a number of regressions surface in the 2.7.x maintenance branch.

I didn't see any discussion to follow this. When a fix is made to
trunk does anything have to be done before it gets merged back to the
branches?

I think one problem we used to have was that lots of stuff was
awaiting someone to QA it before it got merged and so lots of fixes
never made it back in good time. I wonder if we've swung too far the
other way now and are allowing too much back to the branches, at the
expense of stability?

--
  Matthew Buckett
  VLE Developer, LTG, Oxford University Computing Services