[sakai2-tcc] String Freeze in relation to Code Freeze

csev csev at umich.edu
Mon Aug 1 20:39:38 PDT 2011

On Aug 1, 2011, at 4:25 PM, May, Megan Marie wrote:

> What do others think?
>
> What do others think?   Should code freeze = string freeze?   I can't say I remember why these two are different.

I cannot remember why these are different.   I would suggest that they be the same.

Frankly, the freeze simply means that we make a branch and change from individual project team approval of changes to group approval of changes.

These freeze dates are really a way to give ourselves a reason to get things done earlier.   By having an agreed to freeze we just know to work on those things before the freeze.

Back in 2005 r so we might have wanted some things to be pushed past a code freeze - but in a mature product like ours, i See no upside in a later string freeze.

After the freeze it simply means changes (string or otherwise) must go through a branch/merge process notifying folks of the change.

I am +1 on making string freeze the same as code freeze.

And since I had some scotch tonight before bed - I might deny all of this in the morning :)

/Chuck