[sakai2-tcc] Proposal: how to get rid of the properties documentation staleness in 2.8

Anthony Whyte arwhyte at umich.edu
Thu Sep 9 08:15:27 PDT 2010

I recommend that we at a minimum:

1.  work to add all missing properties to the /config project's default.sakai.properties file (Beth, Chuck); retire sample.sakai.properties and docs/sakai.properties (Beth)
2.  given that many properties can be set in different and interesting ways (e.g., see SAK-18965) it may prove less than ideal to try to pack such explanatory text into a *.properties file (Noah); maintaining a second explanatory doc (as John Leasia used to do) may well continue to make sense.  That said, I prefer maintaining single files to sets of files.
3.  get a commitment from at least two people to work on updating and maintaining these files for 2.8 and also 2.7 according to an agreed upon format.
4.  treat a properties review like a conversion script review; it blocks the release until needed updates are added
5.  obtain a commitment from at least 2 individuals to take this work on for 2.8/2.7.
6.  ensure that committers have access to the files should be easy to arrange; besides svn-admins all MT members can commit to /config at present; adding others like the samigo team  can be done.

As for "not too tough" an assignment--true enough I suppose but don't underestimate the time that it will take as well as the attention to detail required to update/correct these files.

Anth