[sakai2-tcc] Poractive testing of performance during the 2.8 cycle

Berg, Alan A.M.Berg at uva.nl
Fri Sep 3 00:53:44 PDT 2010

Hi TCC,

Testing season for 2.8 is nearly upon us. I was reading the excellent document that Megan May drove for the 2.8 roadmap and intend to use this as the basis of the overall testing effort.

I am concerned about the performance characteristic trend regressing from 2.6 to 2.7 and wish to reverse this during testing for 2.8. Rutgers reported initial warnings about increased CPU utilization of their MySQL databases and there have been on list responses by UMICH about soon to be in place patches and other optimizations. On the roadmap, Chuck commented in the document that tuning the Kernel requires effort and time should be allocated during the 2.9 sweep.  What I would be looking for a way to measure that the performance of 2.8 is not significantly worse than 2.7 and hope to motivate some effort to perform quick wins ( around caching?), so that early deployer’s for 2.8 don’t report back negative findings.

QA currently does not have the required Sakai specific expertise for tuning Jira’s. Can members of the TCC advise..

Alan

Alan Berg
QA Director - The Sakai Foundation

Senior Developer / Quality Assurance