[sakai2-tcc] Addition proposal: Shared i18n

Jean-Francois Leveque jean-francois.leveque at upmc.fr
Mon Oct 11 03:01:13 PDT 2010

Hi all,

After Friday's TCC discussion I've added a shared i18n proposal to
http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/TCC/List+of+Planned+2.8.0+Changes

This proposal is a way to fix the following issue: lots of default i18n
strings are duplicated across the Sakai code and this leads to
duplication of translations.

The goal is to provide shared default strings and their translations
that every tool relying on ResourceLoader for i18n can use.

I've created the i18n repository in config's trunk before the branching
(see http://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-15037), so this is
available in 2.8. It can be considered off because no code in 2.8
currently uses it.

I've later created a fix using this for
http://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-16738 but it's not merged into
2.8 yet.

My opinion is that such changes are bug fixes and I didn't think I
needed to follow the addition proposal process. AFAICT, I was requested
to submit this as a proposal. Feel free to quickly ask questions or make
comments before a vote is requested.

I also thought changes such as those in SAK-16738 were small String
changes and could still happen between Code and String Freeze. If you
think differently, vote against the proposal so I don't hurry to fix
things that won't make it into 2.8.

Cheers,

J-F