[sakai2-tcc] Answering questions on proposed Notification Preferences changes

Maurer, Christopher Wayne chmaurer at iupui.edu
Fri Oct 8 10:02:29 PDT 2010

John Bush:  +1

  *   There are a lot of tools that have their own preferences around this stuff, wiki, msgcntr, forums.  These could be modified to take advantage of this.  Anything that makes sakai play nicer with itself I'm in favor of.

Right on!

Steve Swinsburg: +1

  *   I can see a real use for this in Profile2 which has it's own internal notification preferences already.

Right on!

Jean-Francois: -1

  *   -1 unless I know enough tools that will be updated to use it in 2.9

I can't speak to the future for other tools.  It's really up to them to add in the feature. But see JB's and SS's comments from above.  It seems like this could be widely used.

John Lewis

  *   +0 at this point. Are there any other tools declaring interest in this function? Or only OSP Matrices? If we think this presents real value to other tools, then I can see including it, but otherwise making kernel changes to support this functionality for one tool seems extreme.

It's the Matrices and Wizards tool, so 2 new tools.
It's more than just new tools.  The "old" way had compile-time dependencies on that tool's module.  So, had I used the existing approach to add this capability for these 2 OSP tools, I would have introduced dependencies on OSP.  And people usually hate that.  So, I went this route and was able to remove the dependencies for the existing tools.  That in itself should be considered a win.
Keep in mind that I converted Announcements, Resources and Drop Box, Mail Archive, and Syllabus to this new method.  So, that's 6 tools total.

Anthony Whyte

  *   I will change my -1 to a +1 if there is a commitment to include one or more unit tests that test whether or not a given set of notification preferences are registered by the code 2. bulk up the APIs so that useful javadocs can be generated. A commitment exists here but no code commits yet.

I am (slowly) working on beefing up the javadocs.  I have started but local priorities are keeping me from completing this work.
I'd be happy to create some unit tests if only I knew how to test that.  The issue is that components will register themselves, so the test would have to run after all components have init'd to verify if anything has been registered, right?  Perhaps there's another way?

Were there any other questions that I missed?

Chris