[sakai2-tcc] Cross cutting concerns and prompt patching during a major release

DAVID ROLDAN MARTINEZ darolmar at upvnet.upv.es
Wed Nov 24 13:57:24 PST 2010

Please, forward my mails to sakai2-tcc, because my answers are being rejected...probably, I'm not in the list.

I'm absolutely agree with Anth pointings, but relating to the following

2.  Not all patches are equal and not all patches are worthy of merging.  If a project lead thinks a patch sucks why does the debate need to escalate to the TCC?  All we are doing here is undermining the trust relationship that currently exists between senior developers on this project.  In hockey we call this crowding the puck.  If Chuck Severance or Matthew Buckett review a portal patch and say it ain't up to snuff then that should end the discussion and the patch submitter should revise and resubmit the patch.  If Steve Swinsburg or Daniel Robinson do not like a Profile2 patch and refuse to put a comment in Jira saying that it's fine to merge then we need to trust their judgement.

I must add that when I'm talking about bugs, not feature request or so, and, in my particular case, of i18n bugs that makes Sakai tools not to work at all in a multilingual environment, from my point of view, patches are always worth to be applied. I know you know what I'm talking about because we discussed these subjects in detail during the last Spanish Sakai Conference at BCN.

David