[sakai2-tcc] OSP as an indie

Noah Botimer botimer at umich.edu
Wed Nov 24 16:58:24 PST 2010

What concerns me is the tight relationship between content and metaobj and the OSP-assignment/taggable binding.

If we would have to pull assignment-api into, say edu-services, I sense a lot of pain and would probably vote against it. It's one of those things that feels very core and I'm hesitant to make any move unless it's simple, complete, comprehensive, and well communicated as a generational shift that improves the platform in specific, clear ways.

You may sense that I think we've got something wrong, but am not keen to rejigger things just to do it. People already have to track too many "arbitrary" (well-intentioned, I know) things across versions. You could argue that there is nothing functionally better about our current packaging than in 2.5 -- that it's all elegance enhancement, change for change's sake -- the possible exception being the net reduction in poms and complexity gained by way of kernel-api.

I'm not sure about inward dependencies. I have a couple in homegrown stuff, but that's not a big deal.

Sorry to merge both discussions -- what about OSP as indie? and what about Sakai packaging generally?

Thanks,
-Noah