[sakai2-tcc] Draft: TCC governance

Anthony Whyte arwhyte at umich.edu
Thu Jul 29 06:24:20 PDT 2010

I've sketched out a small set of roles and rules with respect to TCC governance.   I've avoided grand statements of principal.  This is just nuts and bolts stuff.  I envision a light-weight structure with a TCC chair and vice-chair, both elected positions rotating between members every 6 months.  This is similar to what we do in the MT.  There is a provision for emeritus status for inactive TCC members, voting and communications.  More can certainly be added but I think we should at a minimum elect a chair and vice-chair to execute on the responsibilities outlined below.

Since this is a draft and not yet a proposal please feel free to edit it.  However, I recommend that we do not spend too much time on these topics; we need to get moving on our 2.8 goals.

Assuming we elect a chair and vice-chair, I think it important that we elect community contributors to serve in these roles.

Cheers,

Anth

TCC Governance

1.0 Roles and responsibilities:

1.1 TCC chair

Rotating position, elected by membership unless replaced by vice-chair according to order of succession described below.
Term = 6 months
Eligibility: active TCC member

Responsibilities
1.  Organize meetings or online discussions when necessary; responsible for assembling agenda
2.  Serve as meeting/discussions moderator
3.  Manages process of vetting and voting on proposals
4.  Ensure that outstanding issues/proposals are not forgotten or ignored
5.  Serve as the TCC's initial contact point with the outside world.
6.  Serve as a sakai2-tcc list owner.
7.  Provide summary reports of TCC proposals and decisions.
8.  Oversee TCC documentation in Confluence.

1.2 TCC vice-chair

Rotating position; elected by membership every n months; succeeds current TCC chair when the chair's term expires
Term = 6 months
Eligibility: active TCC member

Responsibilities
1. Assists the chair in executing above duties, including substituting for chair when the chair is unavailable (i.e., vacations, sickness, etc.)
2. Serve as a sakai2-tcc list owner.

1.3 TCC chair, vice-chair removal

A TCC chair or vice-chair can be removed at any time, with or without cause, by a vote of no confidence comprising a simple majority of active TCC members

1.4 TCC member (active)

New members are elected by super majority (e.g., 2/3 of active TCC membership)
No set term ("merit never expires").
Possesses a binding vote on TCC decisions.

Responsibilities
1.  Participate actively in TCC discussions and deliberations
2.  Contribute actively to Sakai 2 planning, design, development, testing, release, etc.
3.  Help maintain TCC documentation.

1.5 TCC member (inactive, emeritus)

If a TCC member fails to participate actively in the work of the TCC over a 12 month period or is unable participate in TCC work due to other responsibilities, they will be accorded emeritus status and their binding vote will be suspended.  Changes in status from active to emeritus and from emeritus to active will be determined by a simple majority of active TCC members.

2.0 Voting

Voting is by lazy consensus.  Scale = +1 (approve) +0 (abstain) and -1 (disapprove).  -1 votes must be accompanied by a detailed explanation.

A single -1 vote based on a material objection will block action; however, -1 blocking votes can be overridden by a 2/3 majority roll call vote of active TCC members.

3.0.  Communications

The principal communication mechanism for TCC members is the public sakai2-tcc mailing list, a list open to non-TCC members.  Occasionally, TCC meetings may be held, either in person or otherwise, but a summary of the meeting and any decisions taken will be published on list.

3.1 Limitations.  Given the public nature of the sakai2-tcc mailing list and its archives, TCC members and all other sakai2-tcc list subscribers will refrain from discussing potential or actual security vulnerabilities.  Failure to respect this restriction may result in a list subscriber's removal from the mailing list.