[sakai2-tcc] sakai-2.6.3/sakai-2.7.1 release update

Anthony Whyte arwhyte at umich.edu
Wed Aug 25 16:34:27 PDT 2010

Both the sakai-2.6.3 and sakai-2.7.1 releases have been tagged.  Source, bin, demo artifacts have been generated (regenerated actually).  The maven2 repo has been stocked with binaries.  As a special bonus I removed the 3.0.0-milestone01 binaries from the Maven2 repo (the tag remains in svn).

TAGS

https://source.sakaiproject.org/svn/sakai/tags/sakai-2.6.3/
https://source.sakaiproject.org/svn/sakai/tags/sakai-2.7.1/

Both tags build against an empty local .m2/repository/org/sakaproject.

DEMO, BIN, SRC ARTIFACTS

http://source.sakaiproject.org/release/2.6.3/
http://source.sakaiproject.org/release/2.7.1/

I have tested the demo, bin and src tar artifacts as far as download, install and start up issues are concerned.  The demos start up, the bin explodes in Tomcat correctly and starts up in Tomcat and the src builds, deploys and starts up in Tomcat.

My Environment

Java 1.6
Tomcat 5.5.30
MySQL 5.1.46
MySQL Connector/J 5.1.12

For the 2.6.3 demo I added the following startup scripts in case Java 1.6 users want to try out the demos:

start-sakai-java6.sh
start-sakai-java6.bat

These additional startup scripts have been committed to 2.6.x/2.6.3 and are included in the sakai-2.6.3 tag.  I will document these additions in the install guide

I have NOT tested the *.zip artifacts.
I have not tested any artifacts in a Java 1.5 JVM

I suggest that other TCC members test the zips as well as download, install and deploy the tags.

KNOWN ISSUES

Four issues have been reported this week while the release was underway:

Citations:  http://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-19045
Regression due to a merge that was missed for 2.7.x/2.7.1.  This issue has been addressed and is no longer a pox on 2.7.1.

Assignments: http://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-18606
A fix for this issue introduced a mismatch between the instructor and student view - the instructor sees text as rich text while the student sees it as plain text with escaped markup.

Profile2 (ver 1.3.11): http://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/PRFL-425
ProfileImageServiceImpl includes a recursive method call that can result in a StackOverflowError error. Normal operation of the tool is largely unaffected but errors can result if users view images via in the roster. This bug has been addressed in the profile-1.3.12 release; however, deployers will have to update the master pom and do a rebuild to pull in the fix.

Sites, Web Content: http://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-19036
Regression: no longer possible to set custom Web Content page name in My Workspace template.

There are of course other known issues:

2.7 open (blocker, critical) n=26 http://jira.sakaiproject.org/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?mode=hide&requestId=12323
* 2.7 open (major, minor trivial) n=263 http://jira.sakaiproject.org/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?mode=hide&requestId=12324
* this is an undercount since it does not include indie projects

2.6 open (blocker, critical) n=18 http://jira.sakaiproject.org/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?mode=hide&requestId=12087
2.6 open (major, minor trivial) n=675 http://jira.sakaiproject.org/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?mode=hide&requestId=12060

RELEASE NOTES (draft)

To be finished up tomorrow.

http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/DOC/Release+Notes+%282.7%29
http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/DOC/Release+Notes+%282.6%29

TODO

1.  Finish updating 2.6/2.7 release documentation

http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/DOC/Sakai+2.7
http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/DOC/Sakai+2.6

2.  Security alert: draft a general security alert to the sakai-security-contacts that outlines the security vulnerabilities addressed by these two releases.
3.  Issue official announcement regarding releases (shall the TCC send it out? -- my staff colleagues did not respond to my query on the question of who should announce).

Cheers,

Anth