[sakai2-tcc] TCC and votes

Seth Theriault slt at columbia.edu
Tue Aug 24 08:49:09 PDT 2010

Hello,

A few people have contacted me regarding the TCC and votes. These
comments and some cloudy weather at the beach this weekend
spurred me to think a little more deeply about how "votes" fit
into what we are doing.

In the debate over voting v. working, I prefer working. It would
be shameful if this group just turned into a technical "board of
elections" or if people believed that every proposal or thought
or idea they had required a vote. I think there is a big
difference between keeping people engaged and informed about
technical issues and "approving" things.

That said, I think we do need formal votes for some things like
releases or schedules so that decisions are actually made on
big-ticket items. These decisions help us to communicate with the
rest of the community so it can be more effective.

So how do we balance this?

First, our decision-making procedures probably need to evolve a
bit. Under cloudy skies, I took another look at the Apache voting
process:

and compared it to what we have written down in Confluence.

I think we have accidentally combined "formal", -1/0/+1 votes
with lazy consensus (as defined by Apache). This is the same
fatal flaw that exists in Sakai-Dev voting because calling for a
vote on Sakai-Dev is the same as calling for lazy consensus since
there were no binding votes. But now we have binding votes in the
TCC and perhaps we want to exercise them judiciously.

To do this, we might want to make a small semantic change in how
we operate: Being careful about using the word "vote" in our
discussions. For the most part, we just want lazy consensus, not
a formal vote, but we need to be clear about it. A good example
of this clarity is Chuck Severance's recent dev list message
about a Pluto library upgrade. The result was some nice
discussion back and forth, and then some work got done.

If we do want a vote on something (perhaps a lazy consensus
proposal got a lot of questions or there is real disagreement
about what to do) we need to be prepared to go through the more
rigid process, most notably the 72-hour voting window. We also
want to be very clear and precise about what the vote is about.

Second, if you think something needs a vote, feel free to call
for it and manage it yourself, subject to the requirements. The
Chair and Vice-Chair have NO monopoly on deciding what proposals
float to the top for votes or approval. They are available to
help you administer a vote or even act as a sounding-board if you
are not sure what to do (although I think the group is probably
the best sounding board).

Seth