[sakai2-tcc] VOTE: Removing Axis2 SAK-19006

csev csev at umich.edu
Sat Aug 21 06:11:22 PDT 2010

I just made a JIRA for removing Axis2 and ask for a vote to remove.

http://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-19006

I have gone back and forth on this and have now come down solidly on the "lets remove" - I placed my rationale in the JIRA which I  include below.

Since most of the discussion about this was Steve and me and no one else was opposed, it suggests we now have consensus so we can do a quick vote.

---- rationale from jira ---

Axis 2 has really never been used and as such should be removed.

It was removed from the deployment in SAK-18658 and now the code should be removed.

As a matter of fact, if we need to re-add Axis2, we should not follow the pattern where there is a "generic" axis2 application under web services. Instead the pattern will be some new application needs to have web services as part of its feature set and will include axis2 in one of its webapp artifacts. This works well because Axis2 is really just a set of binary dependencies instead of a bunch of source code.

The current axis2 directory is an example of how to express those dependencies and properly form a webapp that includes axis2 in a Sakai environment and is as such useful as sample code. We can look back to find this sample code if need be from the many 2.x branches that are out there.

All 2.7 and earlier branches should be left alone (i.e. don't push this to branches)