[sakai2-tcc] Roster tool changes

csev csev at umich.edu
Fri Aug 20 08:54:30 PDT 2010

Yes, ultimately, at the end of the day, for the Roster tool and other JS-rendering tools, the translations come from the server in Javascript format.   The browser grabs a URL and gets the translations.

In order to allow a bit of abstraction, for example to allow the translations to end up happening in a database rather than property files so we can do translations continuously instead of only as part of a release, we would need to get a bit of a servlet that fed out the Javascript formatted translations - it would look the same to the client side code - it would grab a URL and get translation strings.

The difference is that a bit of code would be involved in producing the strings instead of a flat file and naming convention.

I am not sure this is *critical* - but it seems like a good opportunity to use this moment to get it right if folks have a bit of resources.  The benefit of getting it right is that other tools can use the same pattern going forward so we end up with "one way to do it".

At the same time this should hopefully not block progress or cause too much pain.

/Chuck