[sakai2-tcc] Chair, vice-chair elections results (6-7 August 2010)

Anthony Whyte arwhyte at umich.edu
Sun Aug 8 06:14:12 PDT 2010

Seth Theriault has been elected chair of the Sakai 2 Technical Coordination Committee and Megan May has been elected vice-chair.

Votes cast

Chair:  Theriault 8 votes, May 1 vote
Vice-chair: May 8 votes, Theriault 1 vote

One additional ballot was received which stated: "I vote for Megan and Seth"; since this vote did not indicate a chair/vice-chair preference it was not counted.

Voter turnout was a respectable 10 of 15 members (66.66 %), surpassing voter turnout in the UK general election of May 2010 (65.1%) and the US presidential election of November 2008 (est. 61-63%) but well below voter turnout in the French presidential election of May 2007 (83.8%) and the April 2009 South African national and provincial elections (77.3%).

Exit polls suggest that voter preferences were heavily influenced by Megan's election day announcement that she would prefer to serve as vice-chair rather than chair.  Consequently, one should be wary of reading too much into the distribution of votes.  Rather, the rejected ballot "I vote for Megan and Seth" appears to capture well the spirit of the elections.

Cheers,

Anth

Sources:

http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/data/turnout.php