[Using Sakai] Sakai unusable by blind student

Marilyn Dispensa mdispensa at ithaca.edu
Fri Mar 20 06:35:50 PDT 2015

Hi everyone,

A blind student on campus has been sharing his experiences with various technologies.  He says Sakai is extremely difficult to use and has the disability office take content from Sakai site and deliver to him separately.  I didn't get much specifics but when using JAWS he says there are many images that have a long alphanumeric file name and unless he memorizes those numbers, he can't navigate. He said it took 3 hours to take a 12 question quiz.

I've noticed that Sakai Project has accessibility efforts https://sakaiproject.org/accessibility

And the wiki actually talked a bout

T<https://confluence.sakaiproject.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=82250209>here also seems to be an accessibility working group.

https://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/2ACC/Accessibility+Working+Group?

It seems like there is some testing done, but it is unclear about the completeness of that effort.

I'm curious if anyone has any experience with Sakai and actual visually impaired students. If he agrees, I might try to record his experience and share it  with the community.

Maybe there is a user issue or maybe there's a way to go on this.

Marilyn

--------------------------------------
Marilyn Dispensa
Instructional Technology Coordinator