[Using Sakai] Does anyone know how the group permissions at the top of Resources tool work?

Fawei Geng fawei.geng at it.ox.ac.uk
Tue Jan 27 09:28:49 PST 2015

Dear all,

Does anyone know how the group permissions at the top of Resources tool work?

The purpose of my test was to allow members in a group with access or student role to be able to create/delete files in a folder in Resources while other users with access (student) role in the site are still able to view the folder content.

This is how I tested:

·         Log into a Sakai project site as a maintain role (I believe it will be the same for a course site).  Create a group via Site Info > Manage Group.  The group includes a few access users (or students)

·         Go to Resources and click on “Permissions” at the top: see attached screen shot “Permissions -1”

·         On the next page, click on the drop-down list next to “Set permissions for” and select the group created, e.g. group, and then I granted ‘create’ and ‘delete own’ permissions for this group

As a result of above, I was hoping that  the group members would be able to create/delete files in Resources in the site.   However, after logging into the site as a group member, I was not able to create/upload files in Resources.  In other words, the settings above did not make much difference.

Could anyone please let me know where I did it wrong?

Many thanks in advance.

Fawei
Fawei Geng, FHEA CMALT MBCS
Learning Technology Support Officer