[Using Sakai] Resources management & Import from Site

Algaze, Louis Contractor, eDataTech ljalgaze at nps.edu
Wed Jan 14 08:36:05 PST 2015

Laura,

Sakai is working as intended.  Each file in Resources has a real file name and a display name.  Each semester she is changing the display name and not the real file name, hence the reason students are downloading the file and it uses the real file name.  From what I understand, the reason this is done is so if an instructor has a link to a file, from an html page for example, if the instructor changes the display name, the link will not break.

I agree with your suggestion of making the real file names generic and, if desired, changing the display name each quarter.  Alternatively she can change the file using WebDav (upload/download multiple resources) as that changes the real name of the file as well as the display name.

I don’t feel there is a problem with having all of the files stored on her desktop, duplicated for each semester yet stored in separate folders.  A suggestion around this is; once a semester is done and she has duplicated the files on her desktop for the new semester, zip up the previous semester’s files.  Not only will this prevent duplicate file names, but it will compress the files to save space.

Good Luck,

Louis Algaze