[Using Sakai] WebDAV & Sakai

Laura Gekeler LGekeler at nd.edu
Sun Feb 15 13:23:27 PST 2015

Well now you've gone and done it Marshall... all this WebDAV stuff aside,
what we're really pointing out here is that we believe file system access
to files in a Sakai course site repository should be accessible outside of
Sakai, isn't that it?  We'd like to use end points and sharing from many
different places, including:

   - mounted and behaving like a native part of the OS file system.
   - using 3rd party tools like Cyberduck
   - and inside Sakai too, we should be able to copy or link to a Sakai
   file in another course site, if we want.
   - How about from inside an ePortfolio system, so students can choose the
   same file they submitted for an assignment, as part of a portfolio they're
   building?
   - What about learning analytics? At some point we're going to need to
   search files from their linked endpoints (or otherwise traceable copies) in
   our analytics data warehouse in order to do text mining of assignments in
   the spring of 2015, of sophomores, which received A's ....

WebDAV isn't the solution (interim maybe), but something like WebDAV
expresses the requirements for the beginning of a solution. Such a solution
will be at the core of a learning ecosystem.

IMO
Laura

Laura Gekeler
LMS Administrator //Concurrent Instructor
Teaching and Learning Technologies
University of Notre Dame
P:(1) 574-631-2402