[Using Sakai] Plea for keeping WebDAV

Information at LAMP info at lampschools.org
Sat Feb 14 03:15:44 PST 2015

> Now that we have drag-and drop in Resources, WebDav is no longer essential for Sakai.
>
> Perhaps we should just deprecate it in Sakai 11 and remove any mention of it from the UI.  There is no other LMS on the planet that does WebDav that I know of.

Hi Chuck,

I’d like to put in a plea for keeping WebDAV.

I have a client using Sakai in a rather non-traditional way to distribute financial statements.  One of this client's sites in Sakai has hundreds of members, each with their own folder in Resources.  Each folder has a Group comprised of an individual and the finance administrator.  Permissions are set so that the individual user can only see his or her folder, but the finance administrator can see them all.  The finance administrator runs a monthly job in the organization's administrative system that spits out PDF financial statements and places them, using WebDAV, into the proper folder in Sakai.  Since these users are literally all over the globe, the organization is able to use Sakai (among many, many other uses) for private distribution of financial statements.

WebDAV makes this possible.  There may be other ways to accomplish the same purpose, but that’s the way this particular organization is doing it.

Martin Ramsay
LAMP Consortium