[Using Sakai] Re. WebDAV & Sakai

Marshall Feldman marsh at uri.edu
Thu Feb 12 19:32:49 PST 2015

Hi,

Lots of people have chimed in with similar solutions. Thank you, but
unfortunately they won't work for me. To understand why, realize I want
to use WebDAV to access files not transfer them. To take a simple
example, I want to be able to use WebDAV to mount a Sakai Resources
folder on the local file system (On a Mac, from Finder: Go > Connect to
Server ... > {select WebDAV server}), after which it appears to be an
extension of the local file system. Then, to continue the example, one
could open Acrobat, select File > Open, navigate to a pdf file on Sakai,
and read the file in Acrobat, just as if the file were stored in the
local file system.

If one needs to use Cyberduck, it's almost certain that WebDAV isn't
working properly. WebDAV isn't supposed to be a substitute for FTP. It's
more like NFS because it facilitates a distributed file system. If
WebDAV is working properly, one should be able to use Finder (on a Mac),
Explorer (on a PC), or Commander (on Linux) to transfer files more or
less the exact same way Cyberduck does, so who needs Cyberduck?
Third-party software is necessary only if native software like
Finder/Explorer/Commander can't be used instead. If they can't be used
instead, then WebDAV's not working properly on Sakai.

    Marsh