[Using Sakai] Does anyone know how the group permissions at the top of Resources tool work?

Hunger, Gail M. (gmh6w) gmh6w at eservices.virginia.edu
Mon Feb 2 08:31:06 PST 2015

This is helpful.

Gail Hunger, EdD
Technology Strategies
College and Graduate School of Arts & Sciences
University of Virginia
434.924.3419

From: Adam Marshall <adam.marshall at it.ox.ac.uk<mailto:adam.marshall at it.ox.ac.uk>>
Date: Wednesday, January 28, 2015 at 7:15 AM
To: Sakai-Dev <sakai-dev at collab.sakaiproject.org<mailto:sakai-dev at collab.sakaiproject.org>>, "sakai-user at collab.sakaiproject.org<mailto:sakai-user at collab.sakaiproject.org> Server" <sakai-user at collab.sakaiproject.org<mailto:sakai-user at collab.sakaiproject.org>>
Subject: Re: [Using Sakai] Does anyone know how the group permissions at the top of Resources tool work?

We have just looked in to this. We have a scenario:

A lecturer wants 3 of his students to act as editors and upload PDFs into a folder in resources. He wants all other students to be able to read these PDFs. He doesn’t want to give the 3 editors a different role in the site.

So I suggested this.

+++++++++++++++++++++++

1/ Create 2 Site sub Groups

Student Authors: includes the 3 authors
Student Readers: includes all other students.

2/ In Resources – click on the Permissions button at the top of the screen

  a/ select Student Authors from drop down list and give them “create” permission (and edit & delete own)
 b/ select Student Readers from list and make sure they don’t have ‘Create’ etc

3/ We then create a subfolder and make available only to the 2 groups the idea being that people in Authors group will have and extra permission or 2 compared to the Readers group.

++++++++++++++++++++++

If one logs in as a member of Authors group that one does indeed see the “Add” option in Resources

If one logs in as a Reader one also see the “Add” option.

In both cases the individual user can upload files.

That cant be right can it?

Unless I’m misunderstanding how things are supposed to work, then this is an escalation of privileges type bug isn’t it?

This is all in place on fawei-test on https://qa10.longsight.com/

adam

--

** Note change of email address to adam.marshall at it.ox.ac.uk<mailto:adam.marshall at it.ox.ac.uk> **

Dr A C Marshall, WebLearn Service Manager, University of Oxford.
IT Services, 13 Banbury Rd, Oxford. OX2 6NN.