[Using Sakai] Forums and Timezones?

Katie Golus kgolus at antioch.edu
Wed Oct 22 14:29:27 PDT 2014

We have campuses in multiple timezones, but all using the same instance of
Sakai.  People not in the server's default timezone are having issues when
putting time restrictions (opening and locking) on Forums.  The tool uses
the user-selected timezone as the "current time" when selecting the time
for release restrictions, but it's still using the server's default time
for actually releasing that content.

For instance, for users set to Pacific time, faculty will select to lock
and item at 3pm.  The item will say that it will be locked at 3pm to
students also on Pacific time, but it will actual lock at 12pm Pacific (3pm
Eastern, the server's default).  This is causing some confusion with
faculty and panic for the students.

We don't have this problem with time-restricted materials in other tools
(Announcements, Resources, Assignments, jForums), but aren't sure if this
is a setting we can fix on our side or a bug in Forums.  Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Katie
_____________________
Katie Golus, Ed.M.
Instructional Designer
Antioch University
602 Anacapa Street
Santa Barbara, CA  93101
805-962-8179 x5161
kgolus at antioch.edu

Have an IT-related concern? Please contact the help desk, available 24/7.
Web form: IT Helpdesk <https://helpdesk.antioch.edu/> or Phone:
1-866-662-0056