[Using Sakai] captioning support for Lessons builtin player

Charles Hedrick hedrick at rutgers.edu
Wed Oct 22 08:06:30 PDT 2014

Currently if you upload a video file to Lessons, it will normally use the HTML5 video tag. At least this is true for current browsers and MP4. If the browser reports that it can’t play the video with HTML5, we’ll try to find some way to play it.

We’re concerned about the accessibility of Sakai. I’m about to add support for captioning files for Lessons. HTML5 allows you to specify multiple files to go along with a video. The file types include caption, subtitle, descriptions, chapter, and metadata. Each one can be in multiple languages. A default can be (for some browsers, must be) defined. I’m concerned about presenting the user with all of these options if in fact (as I suspect) we are going to do well to supply a captioning file in one language. Unnecessary complexity leads to user confusion.

Would folks be OK if Lessons simply allows a single caption file to be associated with a video?