[Using Sakai] LMS-SIS updates via ftp-pull?

Gregory Guthrie guthrie at mum.edu
Wed Jan 29 13:02:46 PST 2014

I saw a video from the LAMP consortium, and because they have a variety of schools sharing one Sakai instance, they described a Sakai tool ISIS which would accept multiple methods of course enrollment updates. One was a pull via FTP from a known directory site (as I understood it). Since this allows such loose coupling of any back-end or SIS, it seems like an interesting option for us to try as we have multiple back-end sources for enrollment data in some cases.

The basic idea was to have a site where tools could deposit enrollment data files, and Sakai would scan periodically and upload them.

Is there a standard way to get Sakai to do this, and/or any descriptions of using such a setup? We plan to write some local software to poll various sources of such data and push it into Sakai using the webservices, but thought this might be a first-step experiment for the connection while we sort out the back-end data issues.

(I saw something from rSmart (from John Bush-2007), but it seemed like it was a development guide, and not something in standard usage.)