[Using Sakai] Assignment URLs in a lessons page?

Marshall Feldman marsh at uri.edu
Fri Jan 3 13:23:25 PST 2014

I was on our University-wide committee that voted to adopt Sakai as our
CLS. The fact that it's open-source was a big attraction. But its
architecture turned out to be very centralized, so that the most
customization end-users can do is by inserting Java Scripts into HTML
pages. Faculty members on the committee had also said that if we go with
Sakai, the IT group should draw on faculty expertise to maintain and
extend Sakai. (I've seen this work very well at Berkeley, Cornell, and
MIT.) The IT people ignored this almost completely, so we must rely on
an under-manned and under-educated (only 3 out of 100 people in our IT
department have computer science degrees) IT staff. Some of them are
very dedicated, but there's little chance these patches will be
installed before they update Sakai to Version 10.

My take on all this is that outside of top schools (I've also spent
considerable time at San Francisco State and Cleveland State), one is
more likely to find IT departments resembling what one finds at a bank
or law office. I don't see this changing in the foreseeable future. Two
possible ways around this are: (a) instead of patches, make updates more
automatic and mandatory, as happens with most desktop software these
days; (b) make the architecture more decentralized (e.g., client-server)
so that end-users have the flexibility to install & maintain extensions
and plug-ins.

Otherwise, integrate the patches into the next version of Sakai, and the
masses will just have to wait.