[Using Sakai] question on student sign up options

Francesca Socolick francesca.socolick at nyu.edu
Tue Nov 19 08:46:37 PST 2013

Hi Linda,

We've run into this a few times as well (the first scenario). Our
workaround (which seems to work) is to add a google doc into the course
site (either via Web Content, or into the Resources folder) and use that as
a 'self sign up' place - we're a Google Apps for Ed school, so for most
folks this workaround works well for them.

For the second scenario, the faculty member could leverage the Forums tool
and make Topics for each final presentation topic and have student 'sign
up' by posting comments (maybe a '+1' if they want to do it for their first
choice). Instead of the 'topic removal' being automatic, once a student
adds a comment, the faculty member can just have a general rule that it's
off the table once its been claimed (the faculty member will be able to
tell 'who got their first' based on the date/time stamp of the comment
postings from the students.

Hope this helps,
Francesca

On Tue, Nov 19, 2013 at 11:36 AM, Beith, Linda <lbeith at rwu.edu> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I have a couple of faculty requests that are similar and I thought I’d run
> them by the group to see if anyone has discovered solutions.
>

>    1. A faculty member wants to have groups of 3 or 4 students do a video
>    explanation of separate math concepts. He would like the students to sign
>    up for their own groups.
>    2. Another faculty member has students sign up for a topic to do a
>    final project and wants students to identify their first choice on the
>    list. Only one topic per student so that when the first person signs up for
>    a topic it is no longer available to everyone else in the class.
>
> I have looked at the Group tool – no self signup available – and the Sign
> Up tool – limited to day and time slots. I also looked at the Quiz/Survey
> tool but this doesn’t work either since the students can’t see other
>

> Anyone else run into these types of scenarios and found a solution?
>
> I’d appreciate any suggestions.
>
> Linda
>

> Linda L. Beith, Ph.D.
>
> Roger Williams University
>
> Director, Instructional Design
>
> One Old Ferry Road, Bristol RI
>
> 401-254-3134
>
> Website: id.rwu.edu

Francesca Socolick
Instructional Designer and Usability Engineer
Educational Technology Services
Academic Technology Services, ITS
New York University
phone: 212-992-6786