[Using Sakai] Using SAKAI Course sites

igor Novopashenny Igor at escience.uni-bremen.de
Tue Jul 30 07:31:15 PDT 2013

Hi Neal,

We are using SAKAI in the International Projects with Russian universities.

They don't have any course Management system and have self made Student
information system.

We want to develop eLearning courses in Sakai.

And met several problems with it.

1.      If we want to create a course site in SAKAI we need to have an
academic Term, Subject and Course. This information is saved in the SAKAI
Database in the tables with the Prefix CM_. So it is necessary to fill these
tables with the information. First of all we have tried to use the SAKORA
tool. We used it and created the tables. It works, and  it is possible to
create the course site in SAKAI. But the process of the creation of the
SAKORA csv Tables manually is very difficult, so we are looking for the
other solutions. What we need is the easy way for the teachers to create
their own Course sites in SAKAI and  connect students to these Sites. We
want to have a list of departments of our university. Each department wants
to have an own list of canonical courses and create the SAKAI course sites
for such courses. From the other side we want to have an ability to group
the students and add users to our course sites using such groups. So, we
thought about writing a Web Interface to edit the CM_ tables.

2.       If we have already such course site - it is connected to the
specific academical term. I don't understand what steps are necessary to use
the same course site for an other academical Term  and another group of
students.

Regards

Igor