[Using Sakai] Using SAKAI Course sites

Mark J. Norton markjnorton at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 30 06:55:38 PDT 2013

Igor:

Sakora was created (by Oracle and Unicon) to be an integration to
Oracle/PeopleSoft student information using the IMS Learning Information
System (LIS) specification.  If you are not using an Oracle product to
manage your student data, then you are probably wandering off course.

The Sakai Course Management service provides an interface to integrate
access to student data, usually from an external source (such as
PeopleSoft or Banner).  It uses Sakai database tables to set up the kind
of relationships that it expects in that data (as well as some
caching).  Some Sakai schools have developed code to pull student and
enrollment data directly from a database and expose it through the Sakai
Course Management service API, but I'll warn you that it takes a deep
understanding of how Sakai works internally and how Course Management in
particular works.

Your questions are largely about the database scheme used by Course
Management.  If you were writing a custom implementation of the CM
service, this might be appropriate.  If not, then you should either be
using the CM API as provided or configuring Sakora appropriately.
Generally, the Sakai technical community discourages people from
tinkering with the database directly, in part because they could change
in the future.  If you truly want to understand how it works, then
you're going to have dig into the CM code.  If you want help with
Sakora, your best bet would be to contact Unicon (I've cc'ed John Lewis
on this reply).

- Mark Norton (co-designer of the CM service)