[Using Sakai] File type for uploaded files

Norman Danner ndanner at wesleyan.edu
Wed Feb 20 07:47:40 PST 2013

I have one general question:  how do I assign default file types for
files that I upload to Sakai?

More specifically, here are two cases that have come up recently.

Occasionally I upload a PDF file, and it is marked with a file type of
application/binary.  This doesn't happen with all PDF files.  Certainly
all of them have filenames of the form XXX.pdf.

Even more annoying (and special-case) is that I upload SML (Standard ML)
source code files, and those are assigned type application/binary.
Obviously these are not standard files, but I'd like them to default to
text/plain.

Of course, I can set the file type manually after uploading by editing
the file details, but that is a real pain.  And apparently that data
isn't preserved with the file; if I upload a new version of the file, I
have to manually set the file type again.

Can setting default file types by filename extension be done via Sakai
properties?  Is it something I have to configure in Tomcat?  Something else?

	- Norman Danner

--
Norman Danner - ndanner at wesleyan.edu - http://ndanner.web.wesleyan.edu
Department of Mathematics and Computer Science - Wesleyan University