[Using Sakai] Who's online feature

Charles Severance csev at umich.edu
Mon Aug 26 15:04:31 PDT 2013

Elizabeth,

Sam's answer is quite right about the nature of what happens when things start to slow down.   And also he points out that we as a developer community want to reduce the performance impact of the presence feature but have not done so yet.

So until we change the software, I will go back to the point of my message - if using the current version of Sakai, your vendor is forcing you to permanently turn off presence with no plan as to when to turn it back on - that is a big red-flag for me that suggests they do not have enough hardware capacity allocated to your site to deal with your peak loads and instead of upgrading your server resources they are doing something that will only delay performance problems - not permanently fix them.

If on the other hand they have offered to upgrade your server hardware and for one reason or another the answer was "no", turning off presence is one (less-than-ideal) way to buy a little time without upgrading hardware.

/Chuck