[Using Sakai] Short URLs for files with non ASCII characters

Rafael Morales Gamboa rmorales at suv.udg.mx
Wed Aug 14 16:25:49 PDT 2013

Hello,

On Sakai 2.9.1 I uploaded a file to Resources that was called
'Introducción a Sakai - Perspectiva del Usuario.pdf' in my computer, and
I renamed it to 'Introducción a Sakai.pdf' in Resources and made it
public. Under properties I can see now its URL:

http://virtual.cudi.edu.mx:8080/access/content/group/8bf73c8c-0968-4914-8c44-918d76fa3896/Introducci%C3%B3n%20a%20Sakai%20-%20Perspectiva%20del%20Usuario.pdf

So, the URL is composed from the original name of the file in my
computer, and I cannot see a way to change it unless renaming the file
in my computer before uploading it to Resources.

Now, if I choose the Short URL option I get the URL
http://virtual.cudi.edu.mx:8080/x/HaqXOC, and at least three distinct
behaviours in browser (latest public releases of them):

 1. In Firefox, I get error 404.
 2. In Chrome, it is translated to
    http://virtual.cudi.edu.mx:8080/access/content/group/8bf73c8c-0968-4914-8c44-918d76fa3896/Introducci%F3n%20a%20Sakai%20-%20Perspectiva%20del%20Usuario.pdf
    ('ó' is encoded as %F3 instead of %C%B3) and I get error 404.
 3. In Internet Explorer it works! ('ó' is just 'ó').

The questions are (1) why do I get all this different behaviours? and
(2) how can I get it to work on all these browsers?

Regards,
Rafael